This post was originally published on April 25, 2018 and updated on February 25, 2020.
- 2 tablespoons Malaysian palm oil
- 1/4 cup Organic popcorn kernels
- 4 tablespoons Whole butter
- add to taste – Truffle salt
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Put two tablespoons of palm oil in a pot. Turn burner up to medium/medium-high heat.
- Add three kernels of popcorn to the pot. Wait for them to pop (keep lid off).
- Remove the three popped kernels, add 1/4 cup of popcorn. Cover the pan, give it a shake and let it sit off the heat for 30 seconds to 3 minutes. This will allow the kernels to pop faster resulting in crispier and more evenly cooked popcorn.
- Put the pot back on the stove on medium-high heat with the lid slightly askew so steam can escape. When the popcorn starts to pop, shake the pot around a bit. As soon as the popping tapers off, even slightly, take the pot off the burner.
- Place popped popcorn in a bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter to the pot and let it melt. Stir in the chopped herbs to infuse, then add in the popcorn and stir it around.
- Toss with cheese and salt to taste.
Chef Gerard Viverito, is an culinary instructor as the Director of Culinary Education for Passionfish, a NGO non-profit organization dedicated to educating people around the globe on the issue of sustainability in the seas. He is also operator of Saveur Fine Catering.