Malaysian sustainable palm oil has been in the news a lot lately as a natural replacement for industrially processed trans fat. This ingredient, often credited for its commitment to sustainability, can also be found in many health and beauty products. Here’s why Malaysian palm oil is sought by the best product manufacturers and how you can ensure your own beauty routine is more environmentally friendly.
When it comes to greening up your face and body care, the cardinal rule is not to waste.
- Overuse product. Experts report that most of us overuse shampoo and conditioner.
- Buy individually packaged face wipes or travel-sized products.
- Keep the water running while brushing your teeth.
The next step is to ensure the products you are using are good for you as well as the environment.
- Use moisturizing products with vitamin E-rich Malaysian sustainable palm oil. Vitamin E is a strong antioxidant which helps fight aging by slowing down skin-damaging processes.
- Use shampoos with Malaysian sustainable palm oil or its derivatives. Palm oil is used in quality shampoos because it effectively removes dirt, and helps your hair shine by restoring the natural oils other ingredients strip away.
- Use palm-based soaps. These natural soaps clean well and biodegrade quickly. Palm-based soaps also retain perfume better than tallow-based soaps.
Non-GMO Malaysian palm oil is good for the environment. Unlike petrochemicals or animal-sourced products, this oil comes from the fruit of the oil palm tree which is sustainably grown in Malaysia, one of the world’s most biodiverse countries. This Southeast Asian country has even pledged to set aside an astonishing 50 percent of its land as forest cover.
Palm oil and its derivatives can go by many names. When you see palm fruit oil, palm oil kernel, palmate or Elaeis guineensis on the label of your favorite beauty product, rest assured that it’s a natural product that is good for you and the environment.
Robin Miller is a health and nutrition editor with more than 30 years of industry experience. She researches and writes about the nutritional benefits of palm fruit oil, with the goal of giving readers factual, science-based information that will be useful in their daily lives.