- 1 tablespoon Malaysian Red Palm Oil
- 1 onion, small diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- .75 tablespoon Red Curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (1 fresh lime or 1 tbsp bottled)
- 1 cup basil leaves, Coriander or Mint (roughly chopped)
- 1 small Red Capsicum/Pepper (sliced in thin to medium strips)
- 1 cup peas (optional)
1. Heat a sauté pan to a medium heat and add the Palm Oil.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned and aromatic.
3. Add the curry paste, and cook stirring constantly.
4. Add the coconut milk and work it in gently into the paste mixture, then turn down the heat so it’s just at simmering point.
5. Add the chicken thighs and mix into the sauce.
6. Simmer for 30 minutes with a lid half covering the pan.
7. Add the fish sauce, tamarind, sugar and lime juice, stir in well then taste.
8. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, then add the sliced red peppers and a little of the chopped fresh mint/coriander or basil.
9. Taste the sauce and add more lime, fish sauce or sugar if needed to achieve the correct balance of spicy/sweet and sour flavors.
10. If the sauce needs to thicken a little more, continue to cook uncovered and reduce naturally.
11. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the remainder of the freshly chopped mint/coriander or basil, and peas
Serve the rice in a nice large bowl along with flat breads. Serves 4