This thick, sweet confiture made with onion and red palm oil is a healthier choice than the traditional caramel sauce.
- 1 cup Red Palm Fruit Oil
- 3 pounds sweet onions, such as Vidalia, Wadmalaw, Maui, or Walla Walla Sweet, peeled and sliced stem-to-root into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 bay leaves, sliced
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice berries
- In a large heavy saute pan or Dutch oven, heat the palm oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and seasonings and stir carefully to coat the onions in the fat but not to break up the bay leaves.
- Make sure there are no pieces of onion skin or any yellowed or soft spots on the onions. If there are, remove them from the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick or brown, until the onions are translucent, about 1 hour.