Roasting sweet potatoes is a time saver over boiling and mashing them. You will have less to clean up and an aromatic treat from the deeply flavored maple syrup. --Chef Gerard Viverito
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add to taste - pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the sweet potatoes in an even layer in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Combine maple syrup, smart balance, lemon juice, salt and pepper in small bowl. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes; toss to coat.
- Cover and bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender and starting to brown, 45 to 50 minutes more.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Just before serving, reheat at 350°F until hot, about 15 minutes.