Here is a great alternative to the Caesar salad that uses a combination of winter greens. The anchovies, which are sustainable and nutritious and lemon juice temper their bitterness. Vary their amounts according to your tastes. -- Chef Gerard Viverito
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Grey sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vingegar
- 1 tablespoon Spirulina Powder
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 fillets white anchovy, minced and chopped
- 10 cups mixed bitter salad greens, such as chicory, radicchio and escarole; chopped.
- Place garlic to taste in a large salad bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice and vinegar, and spirulina; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in oil in a slow steady stream until well combined. Stir in anchovies to taste.
- Add salad greens and toss.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the dressing (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.