This post was originally published on January 4, 2017 and updated on December 31, 2019.
This may be the first time that sustainable eating appears on many people’s New Year’s resolution lists. This year, more of us are choosing foods that are not only good for our body, but also good for Mother Earth. One of the simplest ways to embrace this lifestyle choice is to change your cooking oil. Instead of reaching for vegetable oils made from genetically modified ingredients – nearly 90 percent of the canola, corn and soy grown in the U.S. are GMO – choose Malaysian certified sustainable palm oil instead. This versatile oil is always naturally non-GMO.
Here’s what else you need to know about Malaysian sustainable palm oil:
- This fruit oil helps feed the world with less environmental impact than other oils
Palm oil comes from the fruit of the oil palm tree, a majestic beauty that grows for nearly 25 years. Researchers say perennial crops such as oil palm help feed our world with significantly less environmental impact. Because of their extensive root system, perennial crops minimize erosion. They also require less water than annual plants and help create a stable ecosystem.
- Palm oil cultivation is smart land use. Oil palm trees are incredibly high yielding. And thanks to Malaysia’s equatorial climate, the trees bear fruit year-round. Oil palm plantations produce significantly more oil than annual crops, such as corn, soybean and canola. A single acre of oil palm produces 11 times more oil than soybeans, and 10 times more than sunflower.
- Palm oil is good for your brain. Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke. Ongoing research suggests that Malaysian palm oil may help reduce damage to your brain cells if you should have a stroke and possibly speed your recovery afterward.
- Its nutrients protect your skin from the inside out. The carotenoids in Malaysian sustainable palm oil may protect your skin from UV damage. Preliminary research also indicates that the oil’s tocotrienols also may slow cellular aging.
- It’s a wholesome ingredient found in many packaged foods. Many food manufacturers are removing harmful trans fats from their products and replacing them with naturally trans fat-free Malaysian certified sustainable palm oil.
We are your resource for information on the health and nutritional benefits of Malaysian palm fruit oil and palm fruit oil bioactives. We provide breaking news and industry research, including the exciting potential for supporting cardiovascular and neurological health.